Friday, November 19, 2010

Today is the greatest day I've ever known.... la laa .. tra la (Smashing Pumpkins)

Ok, so today is not REALLY the greatest, but it is Friday and that counts for much.
(and Smashing Pumpkins are moshing in my head, providing some ambiance)
I have been grafting hard at work and as I was updating some documentation (in case I get run over by a truck tonight; the show must go on)
I realised how many acronyms we use.


Each sentence is littered with abbreviations and acronyms and bless the soul who has not been on the scene for a while as you WILL most certainly be lost and feel excluded.


Amongst the "words" (which we use now in corporate-speak) but which are actually acronyms I've found some dreadful-grey corporate ones:


CVP - customer Value Proposition

PFA - Personal financial advisers

POP = Point of presence

ROI - return on investment, not to be confused with RIY ( reduction in yield )

so I thought on this happy (cool, reference to the weather) Friday, I'd make some up and pretend hence that I am the master of my own universe...captain of this ship.




FUN = frowned-upon narcissist (example; "yes I've met him, he is 'FUN' ")

GOP = Great obligatory persistence (this can be a person or your work or your family)

SIP = sweet inspiration presides (this is a mood or a vibe to be used in the present-tense)

WTF = wonderful trustworthy friend ( again, a more eloquent replacement for the crude common-usage)


and so, we all create little rules/games in our day to help us foster the illusion that we are in control and that we hold the joy-stick/ the wheel/ the compass/ are at the helm.

Talking of "helms" : I love the boating/ yachting analogy.



STOW - To put an item in its proper place.

Which things in life do we lump around the deck and not stow in their proper place? Are we good at taking orders from the captain? Who is your Captain? Are we quick to set sail if the wind is right? or are we lazing on the couch in the harbour-bar, flirting with the sailors watching the world go by?
Do we sometimes hand the wheel to somebody else? why?
What kind of rituals/ routines do you cling to? What would you do if they fell away?



Here is to all my beautiful friends, who keep me anchored in optimism and love and who accompany me on this voyage.

cheers- happy weekend, don't' be FUN !!


Maria



No comments:

Post a Comment