Saturday, April 9, 2011

fluffy cool cherry red fleece-top thingy for 13 year olds.


I was trying on clothes in the children's wear department today, when it struck me (upon choosing a Winters' garment for ages 13- 14) that I am an adult.

I am in the wrong section.

There is something like right and wrong in the grown-up world.
When you 're little, it doesn't matter that you colour a tree in shades of purple, or that you play tennis and your friend netball, or that you sing in the chior and your neigbour got chosen for the woodwork exhibition...
Or that you like butterflies and your friend likes sticky toffee pudding...
there is no right and wrong, it just is.


When did this adult-shift happen?
What does it mean to be considered an adult?

I vote; I pay property tax; I contribute to a medical aid so that people 20 years my senior can claim from it and one day I might make full use of it to replace some crucial inside-part of me..
Is that it?

What does it mean to be an adult?

I buy my own groceries, pay my own electricity, service my own car, read my own books... so is it about ownership?
I think not.

I prepare for performance-appraisals at work, I attend meetings and give opinions... so is it about output / delivery / articulation?

I think not.

I love I cry and I yearn and I want to be wanted.
So: is it about feeling? Or depth or complexity of feeling?




well, stay tuned while I figure this out.
oh, and I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
m

No comments:

Post a Comment