Tuesday, April 12, 2011

hits to the core...

This week, I've been hit in the stomach.
I wasn't looking and it came out of the blue.
And after I've caught my breath:
this beautiful blog-post from Kind over Matter really appealed to me.
Read the full story here.

A friend is one to whom you can pour out the contents of your heart, chaff and grain alike. Knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and
with a breath of kindness,
blow the rest away.


Unknown

"The passion we want to practice is unbiased compassion;
towards not only people close to us, but also, our enemies."

The Dalai Lama


Compassion is selfish--at least, a rudimentary understanding and practice of compassion in our everyday lives is selfish, according to the Dalai Lama.
In a recent discussion, the Dalai Lama introduces the idea that compassion, as we usually practice it, is self-interested because we express love, gratitude, and affection for people in our lives that show us the same positive emotions.

In other words,
  • I'm nice to my roommates because we are friends;
  • we do activities together all the time;
  • we share the same friends;
  • and I naturally want to to maintain a good atmosphere in our living situation.

  • I'm respectful and loving to my parents because they raised me well and have given me their all.

  • I act nicely to someone at the drive-through window or at a local store when they are nice to me, because, well why wouldn't I?

Now, it's not that reciprocating these feelings of respect, love and compassion to friends and family members is bad in any way--hardly.

However, when we call the reciprocation of affection and love only for those in our lives who show us the same feelings and care, we're nurturing a very self-interested sense of compassion.

Unbiased Compassion?

yes, that is the way to go.

Show kindness to all... Those who treat you with kindness and understanding and those who don't.


cheers all, from 1 kind soul to the next

No comments:

Post a Comment