Tuesday, December 28, 2010

favourite words....

I've been spending some time with my darling- guests from the snowed-in- island-country:



beautiful photo taken on Julie and Steve Fallon's wedding day in Greenwich.

so after plenty of eating and swimming in Paarl ( thanks Marcelle ) and holding baby-Joshua and congratulating Sascha and Martin on the expectancy of their little pink-foot, we headed into the cool milieu of retail.... Century City- Mall.
I suspect it is the 6.30 am- runs Steve and I are battling through, which is not only strengthening my legs and lungs, but also my will power.
The shop-windows held no pulling-power whatsoever for me.

Steve needed some swimming shorts as they are flying to Mozambique for 5 days and then attending a wedding in Durban early Jan 2011.
In Canal walk; I love the book shops. more than anything. I have recently rediscovered some old favourite words, the way you discover an old jersey or favourite (but forgotten)towel that you love(d).
these are:
Suave ; Gallant Warrior; graceful carelessness of the highborn.

Thanks to the books I browsed through at Canal Walk's exclusive books.
My British friends were looking for (Durban-friendly) wedding-attire and I had no desire to be tempted by pretty dresses and skirts and place mats and trays, so I provided them with a quick orientation and then settled at a little table in Exclusive Book's resident coffee shop.

I was particularly impressed by the Rumi- writings I selected.

Listen to the beautiful foreword by Coleman Barks: " Rumi quickens the grief and the delight of being alive. He celebrates the glory and the indignity.
There are many words for grapes in the world's languages.
Rather than argue about names for the mystery, he crushes them into one wine."
also by Rumi:
Lovers find secret places inside this violent world; where they make transactions with beauty.



No comments:

Post a Comment