Sunday, October 28, 2012

Person of the week: Richard Watson


Richard is author of "Whats next" company and "Top Trends"-blog, published on Forbes.
His forte is strategic vision


He writes on one of his posts: "a space oddity"

"In my book Future Minds I wrote about how physical spaces can impact our thinking.
I used examples ranging from ancient cathedrals to mountains,
but the one I like best is about the Earth as seen from the moon.
Here’s part of the passage from my book.

On Christmas eve 1968, the crew of Apollo8 saw the first 'earth rise'

A fragile blue planet rising optimistically above an inhospitable lunar landscape. 
Instinctively recognising that this was a significant event, William Anders grabbed a camera and took some photographs. These pictures effectively started the environmental movement back on Earth in the early 1970s and prove, to me at least, that external stimuli can influence our thinking and that attitudes and behaviours that we assume are fixed can be influenced by what is around us.

 ♥

The term ‘cognitive bias’ partly describes this. Once we have formed a view about something, or have an idea in our head, our brains work subconsciously to find evidence to support this view or idea.




Richard challenges this cognitive bias. And it is no small challenge. Only few people have challenged me like this. I miss it terribly.
He gets person of the week for this campaign and the good work he is doing with IBM


No comments:

Post a Comment